Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday Genealogy Fun

January 29, 2011

Thanks to Randy Seaver (geniemusings) for this idea. I like his Saturday fun ideas; I just don't always do them all.
1) What day of the week were you born? Tell us how you found out.

2) What has happened in recorded history on your birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.


3)  What famous people have been born on your birth date?  Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.


4)  Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.

1. 25 May 1973 was a Friday. I found out two ways. A few years ago my mom told me the doctor was leaving for Memorial day vacation and wasn't going until she had her baby (me). So Mom was induced on Friday and I was born, and the doctor could now take a nice long weekend. I also just verified by internet search.

2. On my birthday (1973) the U.S. launched the first Skylab crew. In 1961, President JFK sets goal of putting a man on the moon before the end of the decade. In 1986, Hands Across America, 6 million people hold hands from New York to California. 1977: Star Wars: A New Hope was released. I found all of these by internet search.

3. Several famous people share my birthday: Jessi Colter and Tom T. Hall from country music. I used to have a country music calendar with birthdays. Actors Mike Myers (of Shrek, etc.) is 10 years older than I am, and Sir Ian McKellen (of LOTR). Actresses Connie Selleca and Anne Heche, and also singer Lauryn Hill all share my birthday. None are the same age I am, Lauryn Hill would be the closest and she is 2 years younger.

Thanks for this idea. This was a fun history lesson brought to you by the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment