Friday, July 4, 2014

June's Ancestor: Charles William Hanks

Okay, I'm going to get June's ancestor done in the nick of time as today is June 30. Today I am blogging about my ancestor, Charles William Hanks from my father's side.
Charles William Hanks was born in Germany June 10, 1851. His parents were Fred Hanks and Augusta Wilhelmina "Minnie" Groft. His father seemed to pass away in Germany while he was quite young, about 9 years old. So his mother remarried to Frederich Wilhelm Johann "John" Eichberg.
Charles then immigrated to the United States with his mother, stepfather and about seven siblings about 1867. Some of those might be half siblings or step siblings as they are all listed with the last name Eichberg even though I think some were her children with Fred.
Charles (sometimes called Carl or C.W.) married Martha Fields November 1872 (or 1871) in Wisconsin, probably in Dodge county. I just ordered their marriage license, so crossing my fingers there is one.
They had 5 children: Mable Clara born in 1873, Edith Adel born 1875, Albert C. born 1876, Jessie born 1879, and Maude J. born 1883. The first 4 children were born in Wisconsin and Maude was born in Nebraska.
They are living in Madison county, Nebraska in the 1880 census, and look to be in the same place in the 1900 census, but then in the 1910 census either they moved or the counties changed boundaries. In 1910 they are in Antelope county, Nebraska.
Charles William Hanks then passes away May 12, 1915 in Tilden, Antelope county, Nebraska. He is buried in the Tilden cemetery which was named as an IOOF cemetery. I have his death certificate and a gravestone photo.

Charles W. Hanks & Martha Fields wedding photo as found in the Tilden Centennial Journey book. 

I believe I also have his obituary, but I need to find it. Many years ago, I took a trip to Tilden, Nebraska and looked up information at the library. This photo was one thing I found. 
So here I am finishing this post on July 4th. I am thankful for independence this day and every day. I am thankful and proud of my ancestors for what they endured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment