Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Genealogy Review of 2019


Less than a week left of 2019, so it's a good time to see how the year went.

Peronally: 

1. Worked on some collateral lines, finding more distant cousins. 
2. Got an additional DNA test done. So with 23 And Me done, my DNA is now on the 4 main DNA sites. 
3. I didn't blog much this year, only about 5 times. So I need to try to do better. I get busy and forget. 

Voluntarily:

1. I am an avid cemetery photographer. This year my total photos on Billion Graves is 10,835 and total transcriptions of 9933. This is an increase for the year of 8499 photos and 7709 transcriptions. For Findagrave my totals are now 10,842 memorials added and 24,061 photos added. This is an increase for the year of 861 memorials and 2986 photos. 
2. NSGS: I finished my first complete year as president, and also coordinated a conference in Grand Island with Blaine Bettinger, expert on DNA. It was well attended and everyone enjoyed Blaine as a presenter. 
3. GenWeb: I continue to maintain a county site. Didn't update it much this year.

Professionally: 

1. I gave several presentations this year: Beginning DNA twice (in Columbus and David City), Cemeteries three times (twice in Arapahoe, once in Lincoln), and Homesteading at NSGS. I also recently got selected to speak in FGS 2020 in Kansas City next September. I am excited to give three presentations at my first national genealogy conference. 
2. I helped several clients this year. 
3. I started digitizing for FamilySearch. This has been quite the learning experience. I know computers well, but have learned a lot more about cameras. Also learned more specifically what FamilySearch wants. 
4. I attended APG (Association of Professional Genealogists) meetings when I could, most of them online.

I think that's about it. What did you accomplish in 2019? Do you set goals for 2020? Leave me a link below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment