Friday, January 4, 2019

Genealogy Review of 2018

About one more week left in 2018 when I started this. I do these mostly for me, I admit. I like to keep track of the year, genealogy wise. So here is what I accomplished in 2018 and a little of what I'm looking forward to in 2019.

PERSONAL:
1. Laptop died in November, but luckily much of my genealogy is online so I lost some but not as much. If Ancestry is good for something, it's good for storing your tree online and knowing you can get your gedcom there. This reminded me of the need for backups, online or on separate drive.
2. Several Nebraska newspapers have gone online on Advantage Preservation, so I have spent a little time looking up myself and my paternal side.



VOLUNTEER:
1. Findagrave & BillionGraves: 9981 memorials and 21,075 photos; 2336 images and 2224 transcriptions. I basically just started contributing to BG this year, since June. Findagrave I have been on for 16 years, which is still over 1000 photos per year. This last year I added about 980 memorials and just over 4200 photos. I try to take photos in many states. This summer we are taking a vacation to a "new" state so hopefully I get a few moments to take a few photos in a cemetery.
2. NSGS: Organized a good conference with Judy Russell which was well attended and we made some money. Then I became president in the summer.
3. GenWeb: Well with the Rootsweb server problem, I moved my site. Right now it is actually on both sites/servers. This reminded me of the need for backups.
4. I also have done some indexing of marriages, which has been online on GenWeb and in print as part of NSGS quarterly publication.



PROFESSIONAL:
1. I helped a small number of clients (about 5) getting documents or researching.
2. I had my first out of state speaking engagement. Thanks to the Swedish Genealogical Society of Colorado for having me. I was supposed to speak at Homestead National Monument and got cancelled TWICE due to weather.
3. I attended around half of my APG meetings (mostly online) and a few Twitter genchats.

Next year I look forward to speaking 2-3 times all within the state. Also I look forward to learning more about DNA from Blaine Bettinger since he is coming to Nebraska for NSGS. Otherwise I am not sure what else 2019 will hold. Happy New Year! May all of you make progress on your genealogy goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment