Thursday, December 31, 2020

Review of 2020

 2020 was a year to remember, wasn't it. Conferences went virtual; some people had more time at home to research. We are hoping 2021 is better and we can socialize in person more.


PERSONALLY
1. I did a bit more research on my expanded family, so not my direct lines, but cousins. 
2. This is my 6th blog, so I still should blog more. (Yes, I say this every year. I must put it in my calendar). To be fair I did do one blog on the NSGS site, so that would be 7. Still not the 12 I am aiming for. 
That's about it. I haven't done as much of my own genealogy this year. 

PROFESSIONALLY
1. Attended FGS and NGS online. Planned to attend FGS in person, and quite disappointed I could not meet some of my genealogy peeps in person. Watched some good webinars. 
2. Gave several presentations, most of them on Zoom. I gave two for FGS, and got paid. I presented five voluntarily (without pay). One presentation was in person; the rest were online. 
3. I digitized A LOT for FamilySearch. I learned A LOT about digtizing and about the records I am doing. 
4. Client work: I worked on finding a grandfather for a client using DNA, and helped another client climb further back in his tree. This is truly all I had time for. 

VOLUNTARILY
1. Cemetery photos: I took photos and transcribed for BillionGraves; I took photos and added them and memorials to Findagrave. I also put my current stats here so I can refer to them each year. Currently at 17,550 images uploaded to BillionGraves with 16,977 transcriptions; and 11,186 memorials added to Findagrave with 27,683 photos added. That's an increase of about 7135 photos to BG and 3620 photos to Findagrave. It's a good social distancing activity, so a good year for walking cemeteries. 
2. NSGS: I am president, conference coordinator and more for our state genealogical society. I wrote some articles for our publication, lead meetings, updated the website and did a lot for our conference which was postponed. 
3. GenWeb: I updated the Polk County GenWeb site and added a few things. It helps that I am getting data from the courthouse. 
4. I also serve on the cemetery board and now also the library board, which is genealogy related. 
There could be more but that's what I come up with. 
Hoping and planning for a productive 2021! 



No comments:

Post a Comment