Wednesday, June 8, 2016

More on DNA

Genealogists are using DNA tests even more to find family and ethnicity. There are basically 3 big DNA testing companies; if there are others, I can't remember them. Ancestry (autosomal only), FamilyTreeDNA and 23AndMe are the three.
I have done an autosomal DNA test on Ancestry.com and have blogged about those results here: http://geniebeth.blogspot.com/2013/10/new-ancestry-dna-results-with-better.html
Now I have uploaded my raw DNA to FamilyTreeDNA and received their results.
Also I have ordered a maternal DNA test and am now waiting for those to be processed.

How does Ancestry compare to FamilyTreeDNA? Similar but not the same.

 
Ancestry DNA

FamilyTreeDNA

Both agree I'm 100% European. Both agree I'm strongly Scandinavian. 
The percent of Scandinavian differ: Ancestry says 48% and FamilyTree says 60%. 
The percent of British Isles is the same: 27%. Ancestry just broke it up into Great Britian and Ireland. Therefore the other European results are different to balance out the Scandinavian difference. 

You might refer to my first blog post, but tracing my ancestors back doesn't agree with this. Denmark is my only Scandinavian, and it SHOULD be closer to 1/4 or 25%. I thought I was close to 50% German, and that hardly shows at all. 

I have research this a little and probably need to more, but what I've read seems like people moved and DNA carries down a bit differently, so there are some reasons for this. 
I also think these companies are working on refining their analysis of DNA with more results and improvements in the science. 



No comments:

Post a Comment