Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday (Night) Genealogy Fun

It's not quite "night" where I am yet, but I am doing this Saturday "Night" Fun by Randy Seaver (geneamusings.com)

1)  Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.

2)  Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.


3)  Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries.  If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5!  Or 10!

4)  Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.

1-2. I am using The Master Genealogist; I went up to Reports and down to Distribution of people. My trees are also online on Ancestry.com and worldconnect.rootsweb.com so I could try there and see if they have reports.

3.  I have 2 databases/projects: one for me and one for my husband's. There are a few people who overlap in both. I could not find how many surnames are in either database, but I know how many people and how many people with each surname.

MINE (total of 620 people):
1. FOSTER, 51 people, 8.23%
2. JORGENSEN, 40 people, 6.45%
3. REGNIER, 33 people, 5.32%
4. (empty, blank), 31 people
5. FLORA, 22 people
6. HOWLAND, 19 people
7. SEGGERMAN, 18 people
8. ALLISON, 13 people
9. KIRKPATRICK, 13 people

HUSBAND'S (total of 990 people):
1. THOMPSON, 66 people, 6.67%
2. SPARROW, 51 people, 5.15%
3. FORESMAN, 42 people, 4.24%
4. (empty, blank), 25 people
5. SMITH, 25 people
6. PATTERSON, 23 people
7. WHITACRE, 23 people
8. CAPRON, 20 people
9. RAMSEY, 17 people
10. RICHART, 17 people

Interesting that #4 in both is people with no last name. Guess I need to work on finding those out, probably women that I don't know their maiden name. If you recognize these surnames, please contact me if you are interesting in comparing info.

No comments:

Post a Comment